Monday, December 04, 2006

VIVE LA FRANCE

I've really enjoyed covering the political leadership races in the past week. It makes me feel connected and plugged in to politics again, and I feel this blog has gotten off to a good start. In the past several months my political involvement seemed, well, pretty futile in nature. I was doing a lot of things that I didn't really want to do in politics and I think being a writer and commentator, ranting about what is happening, is a better fit. Now I can say exactly what I think and not have to march to a party line all the time.

Anyway Ed Stelmach won the leadership of the Alberta PCs and you could hardly get any coverage from the mainstream media. I had to tune in to Calgary radio stations to get any information at all. QR77 was busy running old-time radio shows and interrupting it with results every 15 minutes. Anyway it was a big upset. I think it was a case of people realizing Ted Morton was not going to do the party any good, so they went with Stelmach because they knew Jim Dinning wouldn't be able to stop Morton. So that's that about that.

In other news, we've learned today that Stephane Dion is a French citizen. That's right, a dual citizen of the Republique is leading the Liberals.

I think our Governor-General was in a spat like that, too. Anyway, nice to know that the Liberals want to install a foreigner from France as Prime Minister. Vive la France!

Just kidding folks. Actually I don't have a problem with dual citizens, as long as they remain loyal to Canada. Besides, it gives Canadians an escape route if the wrong government gets into power again. Au revoir, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home