Monday, February 25, 2008

KNIVES ARE OUT IN LONDON

I posted this on Saturday over on the other site (The CAIRNS BLOG), but thought I would move it over here to the politics site since, well, absolutely nothing happened as you can tell.

(Saturday, Feb 23, late afternoon, around 5 p.m. Central time.)

Been listening to CFRB and it appears to be very bad news for John Tory at the PC convention in London. He's cancelled his media availability after the end of the vote and word is leaking out that the news for him is bad. They have also delayed the official announcement of the results. Never a good sign.

UPDATE: They are going to announce the results in two minutes.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Well, it's not as bad a result as I had feared moments ago but --- 66.87 per cent voted in favor of keeping Tory on.

Ouch. Joe Clark received 66.9 per cent, and decided it wasn't enough and called a convention. Tory says he will think things over, but this is not a very good result at all.


YET ANOTHER UPDATE (late evening): Now Tory says he will stay on after all.

It is now Monday, and all I have to say about what happened this weekend is that this is just nuts. How does Tory expect to keep a lid on all these dissidents?! The dissidents are not going to go away. In fact they are even more emboldened by this 2/3rds vote.

Yes, I've supported Tory before and had I been at the convention I would have voted no to a convention. But this is not a good result for the party at all. The Tory supporters and these dissidents threaten to tear the PCs apart for the next three-and-a-half years. I have said this before and I will say it again: the Ontario PCs are a mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home